COVID-19 restrictions will be temporarily tightened across Greater Sydney, including Wollongong, for the next several days.
This follows news that NSW recorded two new locally acquired cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Wednesday.
Given the latest cases of community transmission and updated health advice from the Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant, the following measures will be effective from midday Thursday (enforceable from 5pm) until 12.01am Monday for the Greater Sydney region (including Wollongong LGA).
*Visitors to households will be limited to 20 guests - including children.
*Masks will be compulsory on public transport and in all public indoor venues, such as retail, theatres, hospitals, aged care facilities and for front-of-house hospitality staff (except in a hospitality venue when eating or drinking).
*Drinking while standing up at indoor venues will not be allowed.
*Singing by audiences at indoor shows or by congregants at indoor places of worship will not be allowed.
*Dancing will not be allowed at indoor hospitality venues or nightclubs. However, dancing is allowed at weddings with a strong recommendation that no more than 20 people should be on the dancefloor at any one time.
*Visitors to aged care facilities will be limited to two people.
The NSW government has also strongly recommended the community avoids mingling in large groups over the coming days, and is careful not to put our most vulnerable at risk.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the three-day restrictions would help reduce the risk of a super spreading event.
"These measures are proportionate to the risk and will help reduce further cases of community transmission," Ms Berejiklian said.
"To allow our health authorities to do their excellent work it is critical the community continues to keep their physical distance, get tested with even the mildest of symptoms and importantly continues to use the Service NSW app to check into venues."
Ms Berejiklian said the restrictions were less than would be imposed in other states.
"Unlike other premiers, we're not shutting down the city," she said, encouraging people to still attend Mother's Day bookings at restaurants on Sunday.
"It's business as usual for business: the only difference is that your workers should wear a mask."
Meanwhile, nine new cases were acquired overseas to 8pm to Wednesday night.
One previously reported case has been excluded, bringing the total number of cases in NSW since the beginning of the pandemic to 5327.
The two new locally acquired cases to 8pm on Wednesday night are household contacts of each other; a man and woman in their 50s from Sydney's eastern suburbs.
The man's infection was first reported in a public health alert on Wednesday.
Urgent investigations into the source of their infections and contact tracing are ongoing.
An immediate family member, who does not live in the same household as both new cases, has returned a negative result.
NSW Health has identified two further venues of concern as part of its ongoing investigations.
Anyone who attended the below venues at the times specified is asked to immediately get tested and isolate until NSW Health provides further advice.
This applies to everyone, including those who have been partially or fully vaccinated.
A full list of venues of concern visited by the two cases is available at https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/latest-news-and-updates.
Dr Chant said high testing rates are critical to NSW Health's efforts to identify COVID-19 cases and prevent the virus from spreading.
"We are asking the community to be on alert, continue to practice COVID-Safe behaviours and stay home and get tested if they're unwell," Dr Chant said.
For the latest information and COVID-19 testing sites please visit www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.