The Group 16 Minor Rugby League competition will absorb the under 18s for the 2020 season.
After the senior rugby league season was postponed to 2021, the aim is to run an 18s competition after the minor league on Saturday afternoons.
Group 16 chairman Allan Wilton said clubs were rounding up players for an 8-9 week competition, starting on July 18.
"At this stage we're in the process of working out which senior clubs can field under-18s teams," he said.
So far, Bega, Tathra, Moruya, Bombala, and "hopefully Batemans Bay" will field a side, Wilton says.
"If there's enough teams to run a competition, we can work with Group 16 Minor League to play our under-18s on the Saturday afternoon, after the 16s minor league comp," he said.
"It's so important to keep the younger players playing to sustain our future competitions."
Wilton said, any 16-18 year olds looking for a game, to contact their local club's Facebook page.
Incoming president of the Minor League Ross Griffiths said junior officials had been stuck in something of a holding pattern until the news came through from the NSW Government that they could go ahead.
"There was a lot of hold and wait and sitting back to see what would happen," Mr Griffiths said. "NSW Rugby League were in constant contact and gave us a predicted timeline that football was coming.
"So once we got that green light it has been all ahead full."
Mr Griffiths said Mr Wilton and the senior board had reached out to involve the 18s in the junior competition and minor league clubs welcomed the addition.
"They expressed eagerness to retain those 17 and 18 year old and the juniors were happy to oblige," he said.
"The way I look at is more about keeping the kids involved in activities - at least they're participating in something that's always been there for them.
"It gives the kids the bit of the routine that they're used to get back into footy."
Training remains non-contact for now, but is expected to return to full contact from July 1 as restrictions ease further.
"NSWRL in conjunction with NSW Health have given us a safety plan and we made sure we're abiding by that - but as of July 18 the comp will be starting."
Mr Griffiths confirmed reports that the Eden Tigers will unfortunately not be taking part with the club expressing concerns around COVID-19, while NSW Rugby League is working with Narooma to try and ensure the Devils play some role in the season.
"They have 135 registered kids and they want Narooma to be able to compete in whatever format the competition takes this year.
"It looks like they'll be able to start training next week."