About two years after a bushfire devastated Tathra's district, a date for the coronial inquiry to determine the fire's cause still remains to be confirmed.
The blaze destroyed 65 homes and damaged a further 46 in and around Tathra on March 18, 2018 and, according to the Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre, displaced about 700 residents on the day as well as an unknown number of tourists.
On Monday, a Department of Communities and Justice spokesperson said the deputy state coroner was awaiting independent expert reports that will inform the inquiry.
"Once these have been considered, the date will be confirmed," the spokesperson said.
After the fire, NSW Rural Fire Service investigators found electrical infrastructure on Reedy Swamp Rd as the likely cause of the blaze and handed this information to NSW Police who then provided their report to the coroner.
As reported by AAP, Essential Energy denied poor maintenance of its equipment had contributed to the bushfire, saying it believed trees fell on to powerlines during extreme weather conditions, sparking the blaze.
Last November, NSW Emergency Services Minister David Elliott incorrectly claimed the coronial inquiry into the Tathra bushfire had been held and the cause of the fire was already known, but later Member for Bega Andrew Constance confirmed a coronial inquiry was yet to start.