Looking back: Tarraganda bread run a feat of endurance

THE Bega Pioneers' Museum has countless files on people and places. This history comes from its Tarraganda file.

Landowner Sid Pearce.

Landowner Sid Pearce.

KILIAN Koellner planted a beautiful row of poplar trees along the river frontage which still stand.

Andrew Koellner lived the later years of his life at Edgedale, and just around from there can be seen the remains of a blue metal crushing plant and quarry.

In the 1950s, Mr George Pearce of Bega, established a very good garden and orchard on Dr George Mountain, on a steep hillside which he cleared. He even grew bananas there.

Bega Bakers used to have a regular bread run through Tarraganda, and the horse-drawn bread cart, driven by such men as Jack Easdown, Tibby Galli etc, would make the arduous journey from farmhouse to farmhouse, and even cross the river and cover Angledale as well.

A wonderful feat of endurance for man and horse to accomplish in one day, particularly as they would cover Newtown, Fairview, and North Bega in the morning, before setting out for Tarraganda and Angledale.

The Tarraganda school bus started  at around 1947-48 largely at the instigation of Les Tetley.

Ken Haigh operated the bus for many years, and some of the drivers were the Edwards brothers  from Eden ( Artie, John  and Ron).

In then early days it was hard to keep up the numbers required to keep the bus running and to gain the school bus government subsidy.

The bus fees had to be collected by the participating families.

Some  of the pupils who were among the earlier users of the bus were:- Ubrihiens, Paulines, Tetleys. Allens, Connolleys, Danseys, Stophers, Bonds, Gowings, Moores and Lees.

Sid Pearce purchased part of the Arthur Wren property in 1921 at the same time the Ubrihiens acquired the major portions of it (Corridgeree), and Walter Reeve also acquired portion of it at the same time.

The gates of the old bicycle track, which was where Nullica Road is today, now stands at the entrance to Merv Short's Tarraganda House.

Mr Short names Tarra Ford after Tarraganda.

It was because of the early history of white settlers at Tarraganda, with the Imlays etc, that when a competition was held at the new Bega High School for a name for the school magazine, that a Tarraganda senior pupil, Miss Jean Ubrihien, proposed Tarraganda, and this was accepted and remains the name of the High magazine.

Until the late 1950s, there were three timber bridges along Tarraganda Lane.

The third one, which was the first to be demolished, stood across the swamp on the eastern approach to the Tarraganda Bridge.