LOCAL residents and service providers are encouraged to nominate outstanding organisations committed to addressing homelessness for the first ever National Homeless-ness Services Achieve-ment Awards.
Nominations are open in seven categories, which celebrate excellence, quality, innovation and achievement by homelessness service providers.
Member for Eden-Monaro Mike Kelly said the awards were a chance for locals and local organisations to nominate outstanding contributions of organisations around the country which help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
“The Australian Government wants to recognise and say thank you to everyone involved in addressing homelessness,” Mr Kelly said.
“The awards will highlight the innovative approaches community organisations and businesses are undertaking to reduce homelessness.
“Around 105,000 Australians are estimated to be homeless at any one time and the Federal Government has made addressing homelessness a national priority.”
Mr Kelly said the Australian Government was committed to an ambitious, long-term plan to halve the rate of homelessness and offer supported accommodation to all those who seek it by 2020.
“Through our investments, thousands of new houses have been built for those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and more than 180 new or expanded services have been rolled out across the country,” he said.
Nominations for the awards close on Friday, November 25.
The award categories are:
• Excellence or innovation in addressing homelessness by an organisation;
• Excellence in the prevention of, or early intervention in, homelessness;
• Outstanding business or philanthropic commitment to addressing homelessness;
• Excellence or innovation in partnerships in delivering services;
• Closing the gap: excellence in addressing Indigenous homelessness;
• Excellence in supporting pathways to employment or education; and
• Excellence in addressing homelessness in a regional, rural or remote location.
To nominate an organisation in the National Homelessness Services Achievement Awards visit: www.fahcsia.gov.au