An environmental activist photographed beside a burning pram at Parliament House is behind bars after using a courtroom as a stage upon which to accuse the federal government of "atrocities".
Extinction Rebellion member Deanna Marie Coco, 30, appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday, charged with intentionally damaging property to an extent exceeding $1500.
The woman, also known as Violet, was among eight demonstrators arrested on Tuesday at Parliament House and The Lodge, where walls were graffitied with the words "climate duty of care".
It was the latest in a series of Extinction Rebellion protests involving Coco, who last week pleaded guilty to engaging in an unreasonable obstruction after disrupting peak-hour traffic.
Prosecutor Lauren Knobel told the court bail was not opposed.
"My understanding is that Ms Coco glued her hand to the forecourt of Parliament House and also lit a baby stroller on fire," Ms Knobel said.
While there was nothing standing in the way of Coco obtaining bail, she refused to apply for it.
She preferred to speak about "the climate emergency" and her displeasure with the Commonwealth's response to it.
"Our government's democracy has been corrupted by the fossil fuel industry," Coco told Magistrate James Stewart.
She demanded to be released and to have the charges against her, which also include three outstanding matters, dropped so she could "continue my important work" in "rebelling against a government that is committing billions to death".
Coco referred to a new United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report, which warned of dire consequences for the planet without urgent cuts to emissions.
"This government is committing atrocities against its people," she said, claiming it was her duty to demand authorities take appropriate action for future generations.
With no application for bail, Mr Stewart remanded Coco in custody until August 25.
Another of the climate activists, Eric Serge Herbert, appeared via audio-visual link from a remote room a short time later.
Already facing two existing charges, he was freshly accused of trespassing at Parliament House and intentionally damaging property to an extent exceeding $1500 during Tuesday's events.
"I'm seeking you to dismiss my charges and allow me to continue my work," Herbert told Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker.
MORE CLIMATE PROTEST NEWS:
- Search and rescue squad called in to remove protesters from Parliament House
- Climate activists told to 'rethink strategy' after gluing themselves to building
- 'Heading for hell on Earth': Climate protesters make emotional plea in court
- 'I'm here to enforce the law': Climate protesters demand dismissal of charges
Ms Walker threatened to turn off the video feed if the 22-year-old continued to "go off on a tangent", telling him she simply needed to know if he wanted to apply for bail.
Herbert responded that he had given "a simple instruction", then sat in silence as Ms Walker repeated her question about a bail application a further four times.
The 22-year-old smiled as Ms Walker subsequently remanded him in custody until August 24.
"Thank you, your honour," he said. "It's been a pleasure."
The last of the protesters to face court on Wednesday was Lesley Michelle Mosbey, who was charged with the same offences as Herbert.
The 59-year-old did not apply for bail, saying it would be "fine" to stay in custody until her sentencing next Tuesday for other protest-related offences.
MORE COURT AND CRIME NEWS:
Five others arrested at Parliament House and The Lodge had earlier faced court on Tuesday afternoon, all charged with intentionally damaging property to an extent exceeding $1500.
John Max Wurcker, aged in his mid-60s, said it would be "way over the top" and "not really in line with our society" for people to be locked up over non-violent protests.
"I wrote 'duty of care' three times on the wall," he said as he applied for bail.
"We all have to reflect on ourselves ... I hope everyone in this room can look back and say they did as much as they could to avert the climate emergency."
Ms Walker ultimately released Wurcker on conditions that banned him contacting other Extinction Rebellion members, or going to Parliament House and The Lodge.
The remaining quartet did not apply for bail and were remanded in custody until August 17, the same date Wurcker is due back in court.
They were Ross Warren Brown, also in his mid-60s, Nicholas Orde Jamison Abel, 77, Mark Michael Conroy, 30, and Andrew George, 32.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: