MusicNSW has announced what it says is one of the most significant regional music development efforts ever undertaken in NSW, with the appointment of seven Regional Music Officers (RMOs) across the state.
These local music champions are brokers within their regions on behalf of MusicNSW.
After a successful pilot that began in the state's south in 2019, the program now extends up through the Central West, Mid North Coast, North West and Northern Rivers regions, significantly expanding the organisation's reach across the state.
Already embedded in their communities, RMOs host networking events, conduct surveys and censuses, and facilitate communication and collaboration between artists, venues, industry professionals and councils.
Sats Kramer will be continuing his work as regional music officer for the South East which takes in Bega, Moruya, Snowy Monaro and surrounds.
"The challenge of trying to help as many musicians, venues and music industry professionals through both the black summer bushfires and COVID-19 has been incredibly rewarding personally," Kramer said.
"It's been heartbreaking to hear the stories of musicians who have lost their houses or had their income reduced to zero overnight.
"The heartwarming side of the story has been to witness the resilience of our industry and the incredible innovation that artists have shown to pivot their businesses through these difficult times."
MusicNSW managing director Emily Collins said regional NSW was "brimming with world-class talent" and opportunities for industry growth.
"We're thrilled to be able to employ local experts to help drive the development of their regional communities, and highlight the exceptional work already being done. It's an exciting time for music in NSW," she said.
The RMO program expansion acknowledged the investment and support of Create NSW, and the "critical importance" of music to regional communities and economies.
If you make or work in music and you live in or around the South East, join the Facebook group to say hello to your RMO and stay up to date with everything going on.
Regional Music Officers:
- North West: Sarah Leete - Armidale, Tamworth and surrounds - join FB group here
- Northern Rivers: Nio Haggith- Lismore, Byron Bay, Tweed Heads and surrounds - join FB group here
- Mid North Coast: Ali Buckley - Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Bellingen and surrounds - join FB group here
- Southern Tablelands: Michael Simic - Queanbeyan, Goulburn, Bowral and surrounds - join FB group here
- Central West: Patrick Coomey - Bathurst, Orange & surrounds - join FB group here
- Eastern Riverina/Albury: Phoebe Pinnock - Albury, Wagga Wagga, Snowy Valleys and surrounds - join FB group here
- South East: Sats Kramer - Bega, Moruya, Snowy Monaro and surrounds - join FB group here