I am writing in response to last week's article regarding the new housing development adjacent to the seasonal flying fox colony.
One of the key things that makes this flying fox camp in Bega so special is that it has enjoyed a high level of support with very little conflict to date. This has been mainly due to the existence of an effective buffer between the camp and houses.
The mature stand of Angophora and forest red gum trees have been an important part of this and an effective buffer for over 20 years. In last week's article it read as though the developer submitted their modification because it wants to improve the environmental outcomes for the site, but that is just a 'green-wash' for there is nothing in the 12 pages of the modification of that nature.
The grey headed flying fox is listed as 'vulnerable' which means 'vulnerable to extinction'. They are a 'keystone species' that has evolved over millions of years with our forests having vital roles as pollinators and seed dispersers. Without these 'night gardeners' and their vital work of pollination the system breaks down.
As one of seven high priority breeding sites identified for the grey headed flying fox in NSW the Glebe Wetlands camp should have a red line drawn around it saying no development nearby.
The flying foxes have been coming to Glebe Wetlands for decades and now it is humans who are encroaching on them.
Lea Pinker, Bega
Spill doesn't bode well
Another leachate contamination at Wolumla tip. BVSC can't contain the current operation at Wolumla. God knows what will happen if they proceed with their plan to massively expand operations there. Leachate in Wolumla Creek and Bega River...mmm yummy!
Belinda Alcorn, Kalaru
Leachate spill? Surely not
But, we were all told that this just could not happen! It must be a reporting mistake or fake news!
Ian Gordon, Toothdale
What can you say, as someone rightly said to me recently regarding the CWF...the circus continues!
Jeff Smith, Tura Beach
Fighting for patient safety
On the eve of International Nurses' Day, May 12, we are again in battle with the Berejiklian government, fighting for safe patient care.
For over 10 years NSW Nurses and Midwives Association have been advocating to NSW health to introduce mandated ratios - 1:3 patients in emergency departments and paediatric wards and 1:4 in medical and surgical wards across the state. Year in and year out not once has the Ministry of Health acknowledged the opinions of these nursing professionals.
Nurses and midwives have risen to the challenges of the global pandemic, keeping our communities safe and our public hospitals running. Yet the Berejiklian government continues to treat us with disregard.
They say in one breath how much they respect nurses and how well we kept our communities safe. Yet their actions indicate differently, we see a disregard to our professional advice.
Rejection of ratios and the pitiful remuneration offered indicates they have little regard for nurse's professional judgment. This has left nurses and midwives across the state with a very bitter taste.
Now to add another insult our pay increase last year was just 0.3%, and this year we have been offered 1.04% because we must also fund our superannuation increase. Again, totally ignored our request for ratios, it is "No" to all requests. What we are asking for is to make NSW Hospitals safe for all.
You can't build a hospital without foundations. You can't build a hospital without its nurses. Because nurses are the foundation.