United advance through football finals

Running it: Nick Fantham takes the ball forward for Tathra during the Under 16’s semi-final game in Pambula. Picture: Hugh Pitty.

Running it: Nick Fantham takes the ball forward for Tathra during the Under 16’s semi-final game in Pambula. Picture: Hugh Pitty.

Tathra United’s two junior rosters have been flying the flag well for the club during the finals series. 

The minor premier under 12s contested the major semi-final against Bega at George Griffin Oval on Sunday, while the 16s played against Eden in the minor semi at Pambula. 

The 16s had an early kick off at 9.30am in fine conditions at the Pambula groudn. 

Tathra made a great start with striker Marley McCabe scoring inside the first minute, then doubling the lead a minute later as McCabe scored again from the restart. 

Officials said the 2-0 lead within minutes was a dream start and it opened more chances for Tathra with the midfield of Nick Fantham, Eddie Blewett and Jakome Roberts-Charlton dominating possession.  

McCabe kicked his third off an Eddie Blewitt assist and United were taking charge in front 3-0. Just before the half-time whistle, keeper Paddy McKeown rolled the ball up to Nick Fantham who set Jakome Roberts-Charlton loose to lead 4-0 at the break. 

Eden fired back with a goal in the second half and were able to muscle up in defence, but Tathra contained all the Killer Whales’ efforts to keep the 4-1 scoreline. 

Coach Sam Constable said the team had some “good passing, lovely through ball and pin-point assists” to win on the day. 

The team will now contest the preliminary final against Bega Red at the Eden Soccer Ground this weekend. 

In the under 12s clash at Bega, the 10.40am start provided a mix of mist and the smoke from the bushfire hovering around the ground. 

A determined effort from the outfit gave the club a 2-1 win over the Bega Devils to put the young United side straight through for the grand final. 

Coach Dan Bakker gave credit to Bega’s defensive lines, but said his own roster was fantastic at “consistently pressing Bega’s defence and goalie.”

Bakker said the second half was challenging with Bega finding some good resolve, but a “five-strong Tathra backline” were key to keeping out Bega’s chances. 

The Far South Coast Football Association preliminary finals will be held at the Eden Soccer Ground on Sunday. 

There are six games to be held on the main ground so play will run from 9.30am. 

With six games on the ground and the possibility of golden goal extra time or penalty shootouts on the day, officials said there were some concerns that first grade could run into darkness. 

Designated draw times are available online, but officials had said games will run on immediately after the preceding match on the day to keep things running in a timely fashion.