Lions push Eagles to limits in wet outing

Luke Taylor pivots on the spot to clear the ball away from the Narooma Lions during some wet and wild weather on Saturday.
Luke Taylor pivots on the spot to clear the ball away from the Narooma Lions during some wet and wild weather on Saturday.

The Narooma Lions have proved too strong for the Sea Eagles in the wet on Saturday. 

In greasy and blustery conditions at the Bill Smyth Memorial Oval, the Lions got the edge on the Sea Eagles by 20 points in the senior contest, while the Eaglettes women’s outfit secured a comfortable win over the hosts in the women’s game. 

The senior clash favoured the hosts narrowly 12-12-84 to 9-10-64.

With driving rains and wind howling from the south both teams were up against it from the outset, but the Lions were confident on their home ground to kick a one goal advantage in the opening quarter. 

It was the second quarter when the Lions really made their break to the front, kicking five goals to two over the visiting Eagles to take a near-30-point lead at the main break 56-28. 

The normal names were on the scoreboard with the Lions reaping the benefits of Bermagui pick up Simon Mackie. 

Mackie joined with prolific Narooma midfielder Luke Talty  and Hayden Lang to command play as the trio kicked three and two goals respectively to lead the scoring for the hosts.

Tathra’s own attacking forwards were still in good stride as Louis Coulton and Dean Gartside both bagged three goals apiece.  

By the third quarter the Eagles had rallied and were able to slightly reel in the Lions, out-kicking their hosts by a few behinds to start closing the gap. 

The trend continued into the final quarter where the Sea Eagles kicked two goals to one, but the deficit had been too high at the main break to close in given the fierce midfield hussles and slippery conditions. 

In the earlier women’s game, Tathra had been the dominant team despite the conditions, holding the hosts scoreless in the first quarter and building to a narrow lead by the main break. 

By the third quarter the visitors had the pace and tone of play under control, out-kicking the Lions two-to-one and then ramping up the attack in the final quarter to finish off a 7-7-49 to 2-4-16 lead. 

Sam Crowley had once more led the charge with the boot, kicking three goals, but she was ably supported by Elouise Russell, Eliza Terrey, Cymmon Parker and Tarni Evans. 

The Eagles also had a dominant display in the reserves, winning 15-10-100 to 2-2-14 with the Lions kept scoreless until after the half-time break. 

All three senior Tathra sides are now right in contention near the top of their respective tables. 

Tathra will head to Eden this weekend, while the reserves have a bye.