Bega Roosters ruffle Sea Eagles' feathers

• Bega Chick Tegan Mundy (right) leaves the Sea Eaglettes behind during one of her  blistering runs during the league-tag match on Sunday.
• Bega Chick Tegan Mundy (right) leaves the Sea Eaglettes behind during one of her blistering runs during the league-tag match on Sunday.

THE Glyn Deacon Memorial Shield stayed in the hands of the Bega Roosters Rugby League Club after sweeping aside the Tathra Sea Eagles on Sunday. 

The main event first grade game went all the way of the Roosters with a dominant 38-6 scoreline. 

Play fluctuated early as the big men from both clubs hit play through the ruck. 

Tathra coach Willie McDonald made some strong runs, but the likes of Billy Hudson and Bega captain-coach Ryan Apps hit right back. 

It was the Roosters getting the early try.

A sweeping left hand play saw James Bower-Scott attract the defenders, then offload to Adam Blacka who dived over the line. 

Blake Robinson had his eye in to counter the cold gusty winds while kicking. 

Despite the difficult angle, and being almost 30 metres out, he booted the ball clean between the posts. 

It was re-created from the other side of the field minutes later after a Marty Scott-Thomas blinder. 

The Roosters were about 40 metres out with the ball spreading right and making good metres. 

Scott-Thomas laid his hands on the ball at about 20 metres and dipped wide of the Tathra defenders to score on the sideline. 

Robinson’s exceptional kicking had the squad at 12-0 with 20 minutes to play in the first half. 

Meanwhile, at the other end, the Sea Eagles were unable to capitalise on opportunities with a number of unfortunate knock ons. 

Tathra continued to make solid runs up the middle and some darting bursts from Dillon Aldridge and Matthew Clift. 

However, they were continually denied just metres from the line. 

With just minutes left in play, it was a phenomenal run by Bower-Scott adding another try for Bega. 

The Roosters were spreading play left when Bower-Scott found a gap, broke the line and ran 45 metres unimpeded to score under the posts. 

Robinson made no mistake from his kick and the Roosters led 18-0 at the break. 

Momentum favoured the Bega outfit in the second half and it was the players out wide scoring the points. 

Scott-Thomas added a second, as did cousin Bower-Scott. 

Lee Fuller scored a try down the left, while Blacka also put his second try on the board. 

Scott Ingram crashed through the defenders to land a try for himself.

Robinson found things tougher going against the wind and missed a couple of opportunities from the wide shots. 

Aldridge scored Tathra’s only try, with his tricky stepping getting him over the line. 

Clay Child added the conversion, but the six points was all Tathra could muster. 

The final siren sounded with the Roosters running out winners 38-6. 

Meanwhile, it was a disappointing start for the visiting Tathra club at the Bega Rec Ground as the Sea Eaglettes were short a few numbers. 

However, the Chicks allowed their players to don the Maroon jerseys and the game got underway. 

The Chicks proved too strong though, taking an 80-0 win.

Club veteran Tegan Mundy showed her skills, with blistering runs down the ruck to score five tries. 

Georgina Pearce put the ball over the line three times, while Bronty Burhop and Hayley Jessop each scored a double. 

Captain Joccoaa Rogers sent the ball sailing through the posts 10 times during the game to see the Chicks hit 80-0 by the full-time siren. 

In the reserve grade match it was Tathra dominating play early, but they could not overcome the stoic defence of the Roosters. 

A quick succession of penalties saw the Sea Eagles have four sets in a row in front of the Roosters’ line. 

However, the squad was unable to capitalise. 

Joseph Rokoqo was outstanding for the Roosters to score a try and kick four conversions during Sunday’s clash. 

The Sea Eagles retaliated through Tyler Rose and then Joel Whitby, but the Roosters were unstoppable. 

Tries to Shaun Bateman and Chris Halligan had the Bega squad back in front. 

The second half was a much quieter affair with the teams jostling for control. 

However, it was again the Roosters scoring the points to win 24-10.