Bega touch football's thundering finish

A GOOD crowd of supporters turned out for the Bega Betta Home Living Touch Football grand finals in ominous conditions on Friday. 

• AEC player Craig Matthews breaks the Outta Nick defensive line and runs for a try during the touch football grand final on Friday.

• AEC player Craig Matthews breaks the Outta Nick defensive line and runs for a try during the touch football grand final on Friday.

Action got underway with teams competiting for the title in A, B, C and D grades, while the two bottom teams also played for the consolation trophy. 

Some players from the game joked they would “rather be watching the footy than playing it”.

The main event was the A grade final showdown between Outta Nick and AEC. 

Bega Roosters president Garry Arkin said it was a “great contest” and Outta Nick “boasted a formidable side” despite being without Andrew Badullovich. 

Andrew Aldridge provided bursts of speed for Outta Nick, while Scott Fuller was excellent working through the wing. 

Kezie Apps was a workhorse through the ruck, while Michael Edmunds provided some quick plays. 

However, it was the pace of AEC that won on the night as Craig Matthews showed class and speed to find gaps in the Outta Nick line. 

Dayne Burton led the AEC with hard running up the ruck, while Matt Blacker and Kim Edmunds added extra pace. 

It was AEC finding the momentum to take the lead scoring some unanswered tries. 

Meanwhile, in the B grade Cobargo was able to overcome the Zephyrs 4-2. 

David Boyle led the Cobargo outfit well, with Matthew McGovern making inroads through the ruck, while Millie Boyle was a speed demon. 

Arkin said Millie was “an outstanding talent” and she proved it on Friday night. 

Arkin said the Zephyrs had been “giant killers” in the competition and were deserving of a grand final spot, but they couldn’t conquer Cobargo on the night. 

Ray Ryan led his squad well and some clever plays along the wing had them in good stead, but they were unable to make points from the runs. 

The C grade final scoreline looked one sided as Wolumla Hotel ran out in a 7-2 thrashing. 

However, the Knights were down a female player and took the field a player short for half the match. 

Stuart McPaul led the Wolumla assault with some quick offloads and calling plays. 

Caitlin Johnson worked well up the wing, while Rob Lennon and Lily Warby chimed in at the right times. 

In spite of the score the Knights played well, with Wayne Northey working on the wing, while the Fullers, Larry and Lee, combined well through the ruck. 

Commercial Hotel was able to overcome the Bega Minor League in D grade. 

Meanwhile, in the consolation cup Arkin said “Mick Haigh  steered All Signs to the Cup”.

With a thunderstorm looming the final siren sounded and all the teams converged on the Grand Hotel for presentations and to celebrate the season. 


Discuss "Bega touch football's thundering finish"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.