Employment Type: Temporary
Position Classification: Visiting Medical Officer - Reliever
Requisition ID: REQ253859
Applications Close: 3 October 2021 - Applications via eCredential. To apply click HERE
Visiting Medical Officer Paediatrician in the Illawarra Shoalhaven Region.
The Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD is looking for an experienced Paediatrician to join the team of multi-disciplinary staff. The position will be primarily located at Shoalhaven Hospital but may be varied as agreed with the Director of Medical Services and as approved via Medical and Dental Appointments Advisory Committee (MDAAC) to other facilities in ISLHD.
- To provide a hospital consult service for in-patients at Shoalhaven District Memorial Hospital (SDMH) in Nowra
- To participate in a 24/7 on call roster in Paediatrics and provide support for medical, obstetric and other clinical emergencies
- To participate in teaching, research and quality activities
Shoalhaven District Memorial Hospital is a busy acute care facility which provides emergency care, medical, surgical and orthopaedic services to around 22,000 patients each year. The hospital has an Intensive Care Unit that incorporates High Dependency and Coronary Care beds and also provides Emergency Department services. As well as these clinical services, the hospital has a Maternity Service with approximately 900 births per year, a 12 bed Level 4 Children’s Ward and 6 bed Level 3 Neonatal Unit. The paediatric unit is staffed by a mix of VMOs and staff specialists with some sub-speciality paediatric services locally available. There is 24 hour on site junior doctor cover.
The Shoalhaven Hospital is affiliated with the University of Wollongong and supports the training of Nursing, Medical and Allied Health staff. As such there are teaching and research opportunities through the UOW Graduate School of Medicine.
Shoalhaven Hospital is a busy acute care facility which provides emergency care, medical, surgical and orthopaedic services to around 22,000 patients each year. The hospital has an Intensive Care Unit that incorporates High Dependency and Coronary Care beds and also provides Emergency Department services.
Live by the beach on the beautiful NSW South Coast. The Shoalhaven area is bordered by the mountains, coastal plains and over 100 magnificent beaches. It is an easy two hours’ drive from Sydney. The Shoalhaven is renowned for its natural beauty. From the bush to the beach there is plenty to do – swimming, surfing, diving, golf, restaurants, cafes, bush walks, sporting clubs and activities for the kids, great shopping – all in a friendly and relaxed environment.
Applicants should have Fellowship of the Paediatric & Child Health Division of the Royal Australian College of Physicians and/or other specialist recognition as provided for in the NSW Staff Specialist (State Award). Applicants expecting to be awarded their Fellowship within 12 months may be considered. If successful, the applicant will not be subsequently eligible to commence their appointment until after the relevant qualifications and requirements are formally completed.
Enquiries about this position from recruitment agencies will not be accepted. Candidates interested in this position must make their own enquiries and submit their own application.
An eligibility list may be created for future Temporary/Permanent Full-Time and Part-Time positions.
Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District is committed to equal employment opportunity and embraces diversity and inclusion within the workforce. As such, people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. This includes but is not limited to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, People with Disability, Women and People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds.
Please note: Employment of a temporary visa holder may only occur if no suitable permanent resident or citizen of Australia has been identified for this position following suitable labour market testing. National Police checks will be undertaken on successful applicants. This position is designated as child related employment and you will be required to obtain a Working With Children Clearance from the Office of the Children’s Guardian. To apply, please go to https://wwccheck.ccyp.nsw.gov.au/Applicants/Application#.
Successful applicants to the role must provide certified documentation of vaccination history and pathology as part of their recruitment documentation. The applicant must be certified as compliant with https://www1.health.nsw.gov.au/pds/ActivePDSDocuments/PD2020_017.pdf before employment can commence. All NSW Health workers are required to have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by 30 September 2021 and two doses by 30 November 2021 or have an approved medical contraindication certificate. You will be required to provide a record of your COVID-19 vaccination status if successful.
NSW Health does not require or accept the ‘Fit2Work badge’ offered as an option in eCredential
- Specialist registration or eligible for specialist registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians – Paediatric and Child Health Division and/or equivalent specialist recognition.
- Evidence of continuing medical education and self-monitoring/audit practices consistent with the scope of practice requirements of the position.
- Proven capacity and/or experience in the provision of effective high quality services, demonstrated through successful clinical practice in an environment appropriate to the requirements of the position including evidence of participation in quality improvement activities relevant to the specialty.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching with experience in teaching both undergraduate and post graduate students and other staff of the hospital.
- Demonstrate the skills and attitudes appropriate as a Senior Medical Practitioner including modelling a high standard of professional behaviour to junior medical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with medical and other health services colleagues as part of a multi-disciplinary health care team and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, colleagues, and staff and to work as an effective member of the clinical team across multiple sites.
- Demonstrated experience in and commitment to research relevant to the role and needs of the Department.
For role related queries or questions contact Dr Brendan Jubb, Head of Department, via email email@example.com and/or phone 0431 954 564
For application enquiries contact Janelle Brady, Workforce Support Officer. Ph: 02 4253 4734 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Need more information?
1) Click here for the Position Description
2) Find out more about applying for this position.
Applications are accepted via eCredential ONLY. To apply, click HERE and follow the Registration/Login process. Create/update your Clinician Profile and complete the Application and Selection Criteria Questions.