Both the Bega Devils and Wolumla Tigers are expecting a fast and challenging grand final in the first grade, but have given a bit of insight into their teams ahead of Sunday’s headline showdown.
Here’s what club insiders had to say about the first grade line-ups.
The Bega Devils Camp
1. Harrison Baker (goalie) – Harrison was a mid-season transfer from Merimbula that has slotted in to goals for the team and has done an exceptional job since linking up with Bega.
2. Simon Jones – The former captain of the past five seasons, Simo has moved back into his comfort zone at the centre back where his unmatched pace has stopped a lot of attacking raids from opposition players.
3 Dillon Douche – D1 will be looking to cause some trouble when released off the bench where he can work off the right edge or play up front.
4 Clancy Morrison – Clancy started the season at centre-back, but a switch to the central midfield has really helped him develop his attacking game
5 Adam Blacka – AB hasn’t been available for a number of games this season, but he is a veteran of the side that simply knows how to win these big games.
6 Jordan Stafford – The playing-coach once again has enjoyed a strong season in the midfield. Defensively he is very hard to beat and is more than capable of scoring if he pushes up.
7 Ron Jones – Started the season on fire, the forward has fired more than a dozen goals and will be a big chance to add to that tally on Sunday.
8 Blake Grant – As opposed to his strike partner, Blake had a slow start to the season. However, he’s quickly fired up and is in good goal-scoring touch to again lead the league’s scoring tally.
9 Blake Whitford – The passionate youngster will start on the right midfield where his hunger for the ball will be a key part of Bega’s early game.
10 Harley Cox – Harley missed most of the season due to a European holiday, but since coming back has been causing havoc off the bench and setting up plenty of goals in the process.
11 Brodie Douch – The right back is an extremely solid defender, but shines in the counter-attack. He’s notched up five goals this season and could be a game changer.
12 Toby Hart – Toby is enjoying his first season in the top grade and will provide utility and support in the back line when he’s called upon.
13 Will Russell – Returning to the Bega area after years away, Will has found himself at the left back role for the Devils and he will play a big part in turning away the Tigers’ attack.
14 Phil Chapman (captain) – The team captain is ever-consistent. He leads the team from the centre back and will look to have a big game to lead his team to the title.
15 Jack Roberts – The reserve grade player of the year last season, Robbo will provide plenty of utility off the bench and can play wherever he’s required on game day.
17 Chris Dwyer – The team is hoping he gets through Saturday’s AFL semi-finals unscathed and fit for the final. He is a danger player out of the midfield and dangerous anywhere close to goals, will be looking to guide the team to a win.
The Wolumla Tigers Camp
1. Ross Oldham (VC) – Rossco has had a huge year as Goalkeeper, always giving 100 per cent and saving the team on many occasion. Is “the voice” at the back and never lets the team down.
2. Matt Grant – No doubt Matt is the work horse of the team winning plenty of ball and getting the play forward. Even when he is tired, he just keeps powering on.
3. Paddy Schofield – Newcomer to the team and was greatly missed mid-season with an injury. A real speedster, we are glad that he has made a come back for the finals.
4. Reece Moulden – A defending weapon making like tough for any opposing striker. Never lets his team down.
5. Jayden Brown – A champion who played for both Reserves and Firsts all year as well as coaching 16’s. Quick and dangerous with a big future.
6. Tom Adams (C) – The team will be taking the field this Sunday without their inspirational captain as he holidays OS. The main part of the work engine, Tom’s control of the middle and leadership will be greatly missed.
7. Sean Kennedy – A great year up front for our latest import, bagging many goals and creating many opportunities. Has taken his passing game to another this year. A huge asset.
8. Jake Cessnick – This little champion never lets his team down and is our most dangerous weapon in defence, shutting down opposing strikers all game long.
9. Matt Lawson – A very dedicated player, Matt will run up and down the flanks all game long. Has also bagged a few good goals in the lead up to the finals.
10. Jack Trevanian – Every team needs a player like “Trout”. Unpredictable and passionate, Jack plays all over the field.
11. Tim Hodgkin – An old dog with new tricks. A club stalwart, Timmy swapped yellow cards for lots of goals this year and will lead from the front come Sunday.
12. Wez Rosseland – The team’s rock planted firmly in the middle of the back line. Will clean up any break ways. Enjoys ordering around the young fellas.
13. Jarrod Dewberry – Jarrod has put a bit of muscle up front. Picks up the odd cards but does his job well.
14. Maz O’Rielly – A solid, experienced player who is also an important part of the work engine in the middle. Can really bring a game under control and is invaluable helping out in defence.
15. Mitch Bennett – Our energiser bunny, you simply can’t restrain Mitty to one position. Follows the ball all game and plays for both grades.
16. Daniel Williams – Started the year strong and was a handful for anyone trying to mark him. Unfortunately a mid-season ACL injury sees Dan supporting from the sidelines. Watch out next year.