Many hands of Corridgeree dairy history

THE Bega Pioneers' Museum has countless files on peoples and places. This history comes from its Tarraganda file. The Imlay Bros established a property at Tarraganda in 1835, and later the land was sold to others such as the Wrens. 

WEDDING DAY: Peter Ubrihien and his wife Ethel on their wedding day. Peter bought Corridgeree from Arthur Wren. Picture: Bega Pioneers' Museum

WEDDING DAY: Peter Ubrihien and his wife Ethel on their wedding day. Peter bought Corridgeree from Arthur Wren. Picture: Bega Pioneers' Museum

IN THE time of the Wrens, Corridgeree comprised two dairy farms, one of each side of the hill, and it also had their cheese factory (operating in 1877), which still stands near the present dairy.

Corridgeree was originally called Burridgery, allegedly taken from the Indigenous word for round hill.

Thomas Underhill had his first smithy close to the river and directly opposite the present house on Underhill's farm at North Yarranung; but due to flooding, moved across the river to Yarranung Hill just prior to the 1851 flood.

The large Ubrihien family purchased Corridgeree from Arthur Wren in 1921, and in recent years, was farmed by two family members, Peter and Ray.

The Corridgeree Cemetery is situated below the high hills to the rear of the dairy and bails.

Corridgeree homestead was built by Arthur Wren to the design of a Sydney architect.

The older timber section of the house which was still in use in the 1950s, has since been demolished.

It is an Edwardian home, dating from 1905, and the similar house at Warragaburra, which is of then same basic plan, was designed a little later by the same architect and given a much larger verandah area.

Arthur and his wife had no family and they retired to the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Peter Ubrihien and his sons were very progressive farmers and introduced many new innovations to Corridgeree and this tradition has been carried on by the Ubrihien family.

Sid Pearce and Walter Reeve both purchased portions of the original Corridgeree when  Arthur Wren sub-divided it, so Corridgeree was originally much larger than it is today. The Ubrihiens were among the assisted migrant families who came from Germany to Australia on then ship Caesar in 1855.

The Koellners, the Spindlers, Goetz and Pruss families all became connected with Tarraganda.