CONTINUING the 1888 Who's Who in the Bega Valley from the Aldine Centennial History of NSW. The Who Who's characters are now from Cobargo and Mr O'Reilly has just passed the entrance examination for the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin.
MR O'REILLY spent two years at the Carmichael School of Medicine, Dublin, studying for the medical profession, but in 1862 family bereavements compelled him to discontinue his studies and come to Australia.
In 1870 Mr O’Reilly settled in Cobargo and commenced business as general storekeeper there and at Bermagui.
He carries on a trade in wattle bark with Victoria, and is an auctioneer. In 1887 he was raised to the commission of the peace.
WILLIAM DUGAN TARLINGTON, JP, of Bredbatowra, near Cobargo, is a native of Parramatta and was born in 1806.
He resided at Prospect until 31 years of age, when he removed in 1837 to Oronmeir, a cattle station in the Braidwood district, which he formed in 1828.
Later in 1829 he explored a road through the mountains to Bredbatowra, forming a station there, which he held until free selection took place.
Many years after he bought the rights of the runs of those settlers who followed him, and by this means increased his holding to an area of 25 square miles.
At this time he carried on an extensive business in the sale of large numbers of cattle for the Melbourne Market.
Mr Tarlington bred sheep in 1850, when he and his family went to reside at Bredbatowra, but finding it then unprofitable, he sold all his flocks.
ARTHUR D BURNS, Blacksmith, was born at Moruya in 1865, and is the third son of Mr John Burns of Nambugga, who came to this colony in 1810. He was educated at Bergalia, and then apprenticed to Mr Henry Brown of Bega, with whom he served five years. After working for some time with a firm in Wolumla, he returned to Mr Brown, and came to Cobargo, starting business on his own account, which he has continued up to the present time. He married the daughter of Mr H Wright, of Cobargo, in 1888.
More on Cobargo notables next week.