Tathra told its ineligible for mobile blackspot funding

Tathra businesses continue to struggle with patchy mobile reception, but have been told 'some' service rules the town ineligible for federal government blackspot funding.

Tathra businesses continue to struggle with patchy mobile reception, but have been told 'some' service rules the town ineligible for federal government blackspot funding.

Despite the coastal town of Tathra having poor mobile phone coverage, it has been told it does not qualify for federal blackspot funding.

The federal government has extended the deadline for public nominations for round two of the mobile blackspots program.

The final date for submissions has been extended to Friday, January 15.

“The new closing date will ensure individuals and community groups have enough time to get their nominations in after the festive season and reflects the significant demand for improved mobile coverage in rural, regional and remote Australia,”  Member for Eden-Monaro Peter Hendy said.

“Under round two of the program, the government will commit $60million to improve mobile coverage in areas reported as having poor or no mobile coverage by the community.”

Tathra’s Rob White has been deeply involved in the process so far and said he was told after a visit by Telstra to the coastal town it will miss out until new technologies are developed to deal with the blackspot issue.

Mr White said the current infrastructure is not enough to cope with the influx of summer tourists.

“The coverage is appalling here and so is the broadband at the moment,” he said.

“For two full days there was no ADSL either so we’re really struggling out here.

“Telstra told us a new tower will cost a million dollars.

“We were told emphatically we missed out because we have ‘some’ service.”

Nominations for round two of the mobile blackspot program can be made online at www.communications.gov.au/blackspots.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop