Urgent warning after night of fires

FIRE and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents not to be complacent about home fire safety following a spate of residential and building fires across NSW overnight.

Firefighters were called to several major building and home fires in less than 12 hours since 6pm Tuesday.

The incidents included:

  • A fire which destroyed a bedroom of a two-storey terrace at Newtown.
  • Assisting the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) at several fires, including at a fire which destroyed a café, shed and museum at Nimbin; a fire which destroyed a caravan and two-storey house in Mooball, and a fire which destroyed a house at Dora Creek.
  • A fire which destroyed a kitchen in a house in Blackalls Park. Two occupants were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but not taken to hospital.
  • Firefighters rescued two people and three pets from a fire at the back of a house in Georgetown. Firefighters stopped the outside fire spreading into the home.
  • A house at Balranald with one person taken to hospital with asthma.
  • A kitchen and lounge room destroyed in a house fire at Koonawarra.
  • A fire in a boat shed at Sylvania.

“While the cause of the home fires may be different, we urge all residents not to be complacent about home fire safety with the recent drop in temperatures,” Commissioner Mullins said.

“Every day firefighters attend home fires that could have been prevented with a few simple steps and precautions.

“People assume it will never happen to them.

“But I assure you it can.

“The most important thing you can do in your home is to have a working photoelectric smoke alarm and a practised home escape plan.”

People can greatly reduce their risk from fire by identifying and changing risky behaviours and habits, including:

  • Keeping clothing and other flammable materials at least 1m from heaters and open fires
  • Turning off heaters and electrical blankets before going to sleep
  • Not overloading power points and power boards
  • Not leaving cooking, and other open-flame materials such as cigarettes and candles, unattended.

A free home fire safety check can be done by visiting www.homefiresafetyaudit.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop