Five dead in Anzac weekend crashes

POLICE are urging motorists to be vigilant following five fatal crashes on NSW roads over the Anzac Day holiday period.

Operation Go Slow was the road safety blitz conducted throughout the state over the long weekend.

The operation began at 12.01 on Thursday and concluded 11.59pm Sunday.

Five people died in four crashes on the state’s roads since the start of the operation.

An elderly couple died and a two-year-old boy remains in hospital with serious injuries following a crash near Nowra on Thursday.

On Sunday, three men died in separate crashes at Gwandlan, Sanctuary Point and Burrabadine.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley is urging those who are still returning from holidays to be vigilant.

“Before the launch of Operation Go Slow we were already at 107 deaths on the state’s roads this year – that’s an increase of 89 from last year,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“Over the Easter and Anzac Day long weekends we put every available resource into ensuring that families got to and from their holiday destinations safely.

“I’m urging those who are still making their way home from holidays to take simple safety steps both before leaving and during their trips.

“These include, but not limited to, remain vigilant, drive to the conditions, ensure you’ve had adequate rest, are not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and not distracted by mobile devices. These steps could easily save a life,” he said.

Assistant Commissioner Hartley added that as the holiday period comes to an end, students will be returning to school across the state from Monday.

“Motorists are urged to be mindful of the 40kmh zone surrounding schools.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop