PHOTOS: Wharf to Waves bike ride finishes

MORE than 100 cycling enthusiasts started the Wharf to Waves bike ride and more than 100 finished, though some finished under the power of four wheels, not two. 

The Wharf to Waves bike ride is no small task and has seen its share of sporting injuries, this year, organisers were pleased to declare there were no major injuries, just some sore pride and a couple of grazes. 

Two competitors were forced to retire, one due to a flat tire, the other with a tire missing altogether, but both were escorted back to the finish line at the Tathra Surf Life Saving Club by car. 

Organisers said the ride is decidedly not a race, and participants are urged to take all the time they need to ensure a fun and safe ride.

However, it didn't stop entrants setting their own pace, with the first arrivals at the club setting an almost record time of around 45 minutes, while others rode at a more leisurely pace and completed the course in just over two hours. 

Moods on the course varied too, with some very stern riders blitzing their way through Tathra, while others were happy to smile and wave at the camera as they enjoyed the scenery along the track. 

Local clubs included large contingents of riders from the Tathra Mountain Bike Club, and members of the Bega Valley Blue Veins. 

The Tathra MTB riders all proudly donned orange jerseys for the event and used it as a stepping stone to the club's signature annual event, the Tathra MTB Enduro later this year. 

Meanwhile, Linda Badewitz-Dodd said the Blue Veins riders, including her son Harry, were riding over the final stages of the event as a tribute to her husband, David, who died last year. 

"David was the president of the Blue Veins," Badewitz-Dodd said. 

"He really helped reinvigorate the club, so that was a tribute for him," she said. 

"Some of the members of the club weren't able to make it here in time to ride, but they've signed up for the swim events tomorrow [Sunday]." 

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide