Police holiday motorist blitz continues

DOUBLE demerits are still in force until Wednesday as NSW Police holiday blitz Operation Safe Arrival continues.

Operation Safe Arrival was launched on December 20 and will conclude on Thursday.

Double demerits are being enforced during the operation and will remain in place until Wednesday for speeding, seatbelt and helmet offences.

“Operation Safe Arrive is police assisting drivers to reach their destination safely, whether travelling short or long distances,” Acting Superintendent Kevin McNeil from the Far South Coast Local Area Command said.  

“Drivers are responsible for their own safety as well as other road users and we want all to enjoy our area in a safe manner.”

The state-wide campaign involves police targeting a range of offences, including drink and drug driving, speeding, fatigue, seatbelt use, mobile-phone use and other forms of dangerous driving.

Across the state over 350,000 breath tests for drink and drug driving have been administered resulting in 500 drink-driving charges. 

Police have issued almost 8000 speeding infringements.

Acting Superintendent McNeil said local police were pleased at the responsible actions of drivers so far. 

“There have been a few minor accidents, and mid to high range PCA [prescribed concentration of alcohol] and speeding infringements issued, but thankfully nothing serious.

“I think so far things have been going well and drivers are behaving responsibility.

“However, we will continue to pursue drivers that break the law to make the roads safe as possible for all users. 

“On behalf of the Far South Coast Local Area Command police we wish everyone to have a safe and happy holiday period and responsibly enjoy the attractions this area has to offer.” 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop