YELLOWPINCH resident Christine Orman said she is “very, very lucky” to still have her home after a frightening blaze took hold of the area on Friday.
Ms Orman’s beautiful property on Red Gum Rd is now just blackened, scorched earth, but she thanks firefighters from the Rural Fire Service for saving the home she and husband Chris share.
“All the ground is black and we lost half our chickens, but we still have our home,” she said.
“We are very, very lucky and I just want to send our heartfelt thanks to the RFS for saving our house.”
Ms Orman said she was contacted by authorities at 4.30pm on Friday and told to evacuate after a change in the wind direction sent the blaze her way.
“We stayed as long as we could, filling the gutters with water and hosing down everything.
“However, when we saw the flames at the back fence I just thought, ‘No, our lives are more important.’
“We saw the helicopter flying over dumping water so it was getting too close.
“The wind was just incredible, as was the heat and the smoke.
“We loaded the dogs in the car and left.”
Ms Orman said she and her husband stayed overnight in Merimbula and were shocked to find their residence still standing when they returned on Saturday.
She learned that fire crews had put out spot fires close to her home after gaining access to the property by removing fallen trees still ablaze with chainsaws.
“We just couldn’t believe the house was still there, the fire crews did a fantastic job and we are indebted to them.”